Germinating Seeds

Discussion in 'Backed up FAQ files' started by MellowDood, May 13, 2004.

1. MellowDood

MellowDood weed eater

information provided by llIndigoll

I usually bury seeds that have popped out a root tip with the root tip pointing down under about 1/4" soil. During the first 3-5 days the seedling does not need any light at all.
    Here's a step-by-step process that works for me every time with growing in soil:

Here is what I use for germination: Seeds, Kleenix tissue, water spray bottle. These seeds are Northern Lights from an organic seed garden in Oregon.
    [​IMG]

I spray the Kleenix with water until it is wet, but not dripping wet. Then I put the 4 seeds in the middle of the Kleenix, then fold it up so the seeds are surrounded by wet material. I use a glass jar to seal the seeds in. Then I put the jar into the cabinet (any warm, dark place will suffice). I check the condition of the seeds once a day.
    [​IMG]

When the root tip emerges from the seed it is time to remove them from the wet Kleenix and place into the prepared soil containers. In this case it took 3 days. No need to remove the seed husk, in fact I'd suggest leaving it on until the plant discards it.
    [​IMG]

This should be done the day you put the seeds into the jar. Sometimes I do not get it done until right before planting the seeds, but in this case I remembered to prep the soil in advance. The reason this is important is to avoid shocking the new seeding. I use: Black Gold Seedling mix, water spray bottle, 1-pint containers.
    [​IMG]

I wet the soil before putting the 'popped' seed into place. This creates a moist environment from the top of the medium to the bottom. I use the spray bottle as I fill in the container to make sure it is wet all the way through.
    After the soil is prepared and has been at room temperature for 3-5 days I create a shallow hole with the end of a pen. This is where the seedling will be placed.
    [​IMG]

Careful. At this point, damaging the root, seed head, or cotyledons could easily kill your plant. I remove the seed from the Kleenix and place the root tip facing downward into the hole I created in the soil.
    [​IMG]

I cover the seedling with a thin layer of soil, just enough so I can't see it anymore.
    [​IMG]

I use plastic baggies to cover the 1-pint containers. This works well because they are the perfect size. I poke a few small holes in the bag to help prevent molding, rotting, etc. It also keeps the moist soil wet enough for the new seedling to keep developing.
    [​IMG]

I use a cabinet for the next step. The new seedling needs no light, and they seem to sprout faster for me without any light. I check the seedling once a day until I see 1-2 inches popping up out of the soil. This method has had a 99% success rate for me. No watering while it has the bag on it.
    [​IMG]

After 3 days the seedling has sprouted, and it is now time to remove the plastic bag. This seedling is ready for some fluorescent lighting.
    If a plant takes more than 5 days to pop up out from the soil I assume that nature chose another destiny for it, and I re-use the soil and recycle the seedling (compost).
    [​IMG]

The fluorescent lighting I use is very cool, so these seedlings do well being within 1" of the bulbs. I check daily for vertical growth to keep the seedlings from harming themselves. Still no water at this point, and I will not water them until I see roots popping out the bottom in most cases. On rare occasions I need to add a few squirts from the water bottle, but only enough to keep them from wilting. The thing I want them to focus on at this point is root development.
    [​IMG]

1 week old
    [​IMG]