plant sexing question

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by Platonik_lp, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Platonik_lp

Platonik_lp ANY1 GOT VISINE?

whats up guys?? had a quick question about sexing. so, I have been getting a few hermaphrodites and I have been ripping them out and throwing them away. I have grown enough to know the difference between a female, male, and herm. But, one of my buddies had mentioned that mj plants can sometimes produce preflowers that, when small, look like a possible male/herm. So when I rip the "herm/male", or so I thought, actually could have been a female. Do plants produce disguised sex organs? Is this true?? or is my buddy trying to fuck around with me?

2. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

He is right. Most plants will preflower between 4 to 8 weeks usually. They display separate sexes! read the faq on sexing plants lots of good info.

:beerchug-2:

Teamster6

3. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior In The Spirit Realm

i noticed this with mine, so i wait to see if they produce obvious pollen sacs. If they do, i pull them out.

4. ScottyG420

ScottyG420 Marijuana Handler

my 2cent

dont let fat calyxes fool ya. They might look like seed pods, but not necessarily so. Fat calyxes can be a sign of good things to come.

5. Platonik_lp

Platonik_lp ANY1 GOT VISINE?

well you said that from 4-8 weeks its possible. what if its only 3 wks from seed? can a plant produce bogus flowers at such a young age?? never had this issue before. just a heads up, these plants are bagseed, preatty decent buds, just had a few seeds in it. Im guessing maybe a hermed out plant??? or plant that went herm. any feedback is appreciated. I dont want to kill innocent plants. you know what I mean? thanks guys

p.s. I tryed to take pics but my $250 camera wont take clean closeups for some reason.

6. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

Your camera should have a macro function on it. The bottom normally has a picture of a flower on it. Once in macro mode it will only take close ups.

As for pre flowers. They just look like really small versions of flowers. I dont rely on them and always wait until they flower properly before pulling any males.

If you are using bag seed your always going to have hermie issues. Buy yourself some cheap nirvana seeds and your hermie issue should dissappear ;)

7. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior In The Spirit Realm

pollen sacs generally are hanging out seperately from the rest of the flowers that soon. It could be an early flower/autoflowering strain.

A hermie plants will be fairly obvious, I think. The early forming buds can look like a tight cluster of pollen sacs forming at first, but pollen sacs will usually start to form mostly alone and stick out from the rest of the plant and look like solitary little balls and will have no pistils, wheras a forming bud WILL usually have pistils forming on it.

In either case, a pollen sac WILL be obvious before it opens. If it's NOT obvious, don't pull it yet.

There's a thread about sexing with pictures in the FAQ. It shows female parts, and male parts for comparison.