"Flushing" your plant...

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by cjb03, Mar 18, 2009.

1. cjb03

cjb03 Full Flowering

what does that mean exactly?

2. Nilzar

Nilzar A Fat Sticky Bud

Well if your in soil it means watering with 3 times the amount that your pot can hold. ex if its a 3 gallon pot water with 9 gallons of water, this is so it can "flush" out the built up salt or nutes in the soil so you can start fresh. If your in hydro it means emptying the res and filling with clean water or with some solution ment to remove salt build up, such as clearx (you can use clearx when flushing soil as well).

3. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

Depends on whether there are cops at your front door or not.....

4. Nilzar

Nilzar A Fat Sticky Bud

:rofl:

5. nuggnester

nuggnester Pot & Poker Enthusiast

also...

it also means watering as you normally would the last two weeks of your floweing period with regular ol' H2O...flushes out the nutriens in the soil while the plants use up the remaining ones from the fan leaves.

6. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

'Also'?! Didn't nilzar just say that??! :icon_confused:

7. nuggnester

Not that I can see

No, looks to me he gave a recipe for a toxic salt buildup flush...to my understanding the 2 week flush at the end doesn't mean "3 X flush". Correct me if I'm wrong...? No reason to water 3X during the final phase of flowering...It's excessive. Water as normal, obviously with no nutes.

Gratitude likes this.
  8. NeonLights

NeonLights Excommunicated

If I am not mistaken that is leeching, or vice-versa.

9. nuggnester

Ah...

Very good. I do believe you are correct.

10. choker

choker HIDING OUT

I always looked at flushing and leaching as the same thing.:passit: :passit:

11. NeonLights

NeonLights Excommunicated

They are different but people seem to always mix the two up. Including me. I forgot which one was which??? I do believe that flushing is using 3x the amount of water to grow medium. Leeching is what I do a week before harvest only giving fresh water to allow the plant to use up all the remaining nutes.

12. gardenerman

gardenerman Germinated

Would you please tell me why this is done? Is it to improve the taste or improve the apppearance of the buds or the size of the buds?

13. choker

choker HIDING OUT

Its to improve taste and to make the smoke smooth by letting the plant use up all the fertilizer in the plant.

14. gardenerman

gardenerman Germinated

Thank you. That is good information. All my stuff always ends up with a bitter smell. I'll fush out my next crop.

15. nuggnester

oh yes...

I DO BELIEVE that leaching is the most undervauled aspect of pot...it's almost like everyone (excluding GK, of course) KNOWS NOTHING of this "smooth" taste, until they get the amazing funk, then they just think it's the strain, LOL. I usually try to explain to them the work it goes into producing that primo-pot they crave, then they go, damn dude you should grow. LOL. Love my "secret" life.

16. shaitand

shaitand The Dark One

Some people say its not needed but I also use a couple days dark period before harvest. If you leeched then all the nutrients should have been converted to sugars in the plant and no more photosynthesis should be needed. Light at that point is just destroying photo sensitive flowering hormone and THC (which is just as light and temp sensitive on the plant as after harvest).

My understanding is that photosynthesis is needed to convert light to sugars but that the plant will continue using the sugars it already has without the need for light so long as it has water. If that is the case, leaving the plant intact in the dark will allow it fully use all its sugars and since flowering hormones are light sensitive their high levels should mean those sugars will be used for flowering and not veg. Should give sticker/heavier buds (somewhat, its only a couple days) and smoother smoke.

nuggnester likes this.
  17. blah blah boy

blah blah boy Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

When you say darkness, can that mean in a well vented area or can it be a tote? I would leave them in flower chamber with lights off but I got others at different stages of flower.

Also If I give nutes the whole 8 weeks of flower than leach for 2 than actually I have to wait 10 than another month to cure, Shit.

I bet a lot of people do not realize this is the whole process not just 8 and hack than smoke.......wouldn't that be commercial bud?:icon_scratch:

18. shaitand

shaitand The Dark One

In that case I would just skip it. If you leave wet plants in the warm dark with stagnant air you are inviting bad things to grow.

This hobby is all about patience. At some point you realize the growing and preparing are just as if not more rewarding than the harvest.

:passit: :passit:

19. blah blah boy

blah blah boy Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

Definitely rewarding, This is the most fun I have all day.......well except when I am putting it to the old lady. :shocked:

This is definitely an art, and I have a lot to learn and I have a life time to learn it with all you fine folk. :passit:

20. skunkrnaught

skunkrnaught Flying magic hemp carpet

without taking the other side of the Isle on this conversation, is there any scientific evidence to prove that leaching or flushing has any benefit to the final product. I don't know of any double blind smoke test. Do you? I have leached and I have chopped and smoked the the clones from the same mother and I can not tell the difference (both cured Identical). I have heard some say that you can tell if a plant has not been leached because the ash will be clumpy and hard but this was not the case with either of my plants. My nutrient manf. recommends 1 week of leaching.:icon_scratch: