JOG Growers

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by Jake, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Jake

Jake A Fat Sticky Bud

Just transplanted 3 clones that are about 6-8 inches high. Prepping for first JOG grow. Stems are stiff as heck already. Hard to bend. Will I just have to slowly lean em over little at a time or is there maybe a time after/before watering or something that the stems will be more flexible? Also what do you usually use to pin them down? Was going to use cut up coat hangers but it doesn't really seem like they're sturdy enough to hold the plant down once they start growing more.And lastly as the plant grows, being that the stem is circling the pot will this make the plant more prone to breakage and in need of support? Should I plan on putting some sticks/dowels/stakes in there to tie up and support the adult plant and her buds? Sorry for all the questions but I try to ask before doing. Seems to me killing a Jane plant ought to be the felony not growing it. Thanks for any help you can give me!

2. wawona

wawona The Trichome Connoisseur

Jake,
    work 'em back and forth a lil bit. go back in an hour or 2 and work 'em a lil more. in a cupl days you'll be able to pin 'em down where you want. cut up coat hangers seems like a good idea. You might wanna try to find something with a "barb" on it to help hold it in the ground. i have trouble with the stakes pulling out when the soil loosens around them and i used paper clip. You have to keep an eye on them. By the end you'll prolly have a lot of stakes with a full jog. i guess that's why you need a lot of rootspace below. so you don't tear the roots up with the "stakes". dont make the hook that goes around the stem too "tight" because the plant has to grow. I guess that could be another form of LST :ponder:

i don't think you'll need any support for your stems.

:animbong: wa

3. georged5150

georged5150 Cured Fat Sticky Bud

I have used a few different ways. I have drilled holes in the pot to tie the strings to. I have also use thumb tack in the side of the pot.

Also make sure you anchor the stem down on the opisite side you make your bend. This will keep stress of the roots and keep you plants mainstem strait where it goes into the soil. On the smaller shoots i have used weights with paper clips to hold them down.

When I jogged i just grew my mainstem out the side of the pot at a little over 90 degrees angle. Some people jog around the side of the pot.

Remember just coz you have more shoots does not mean you will have more buds. You only want to flower about 10 tops or you will have more buds but smaller buds. When you jog you should have a extra big pot. When i jooged i had to cut back a lot of branches to get only 10 tops. Use the cut back for clones.

Here are some pics

Never mind the sick looking plant it was later fixed as you will see. Notice how i have it anchored

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    this one was before the above one. Notice all the tops you will have. You should cut back to like 10 tops max.

[​IMG]
    group shot in veg

[​IMG]
    you should get some thick stems like this - the purple stems.

[​IMG]
    you can see how many shoots you will get and why you have to cut some back. Or in my cse that was the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    this plant is ready to be cut back for flower.

[​IMG]
    same

[​IMG]
    above angle

[​IMG]
    what to cut back can be challege.

[​IMG]
    day 14 12/12

[​IMG]
    day 14 12/12

[​IMG]
    day 17 12/12

[​IMG]
    day 18 indica pheno

[​IMG]
    day 24 12/12

[​IMG]
    day 28 12/12

[​IMG]
    day 28 12/12  see why you should cut some back for flower. Yiu will run out of room if you plants are as bushy as mine were. If not as bushy you might be able to let them go. But remember more shoots does not mean more buds. Just more smaller buds.

[​IMG]
    day 34

[​IMG]
    day 34 ....at day 34 in my last grow the buds were a lot fatter. (I did not jog my last grow)

[​IMG]
    notice the fat indica in front middle....day 34

[​IMG]
    day 39 indica

[​IMG]
    day 40

[​IMG]
    day 45

[​IMG]
    day 57

[​IMG]
    day 57

Hope this helps you some......  Post some pics during you jog and I will see if I can help. Also remember this is just how I did things and it is not in stone. Lots of members here told me to cut back to flower only 10 tops.

On a side note if you do not have height space I would not jog them. it seems and looks like you would get more buds. But really you just get more smaller buds. I wish I would have used 6 to 7 g pots and see what I would of got. Good luck.

4. Mr Douglas

Mr Douglas still stoned again still

Hey Jake! Another method that I use instead of strings or stakes, is good old fashioned duct tape! Pull off the length you would need, and fold the tape into itself lengthwise,(except on the very ends). Place the folded duct tape around the section of stalk you want to bend, and stick the ends to the side of your pot. I was gonna do the drilled holes, but I always forgot to bring the drill home from work. lol worked for me!! :bigok:
    Good Luck and Good Stealth!!

5. wawona

wawona The Trichome Connoisseur

forgot to mention i use string to tie the tops down. i loop the string around the stem and tape the string to the side of the container.

6. jerseydude

jerseydude Banned

I use large-size paper clips. I straighten them out with small nose pliers & then bend them in a U shape. Then I use the pliers to bend over the very tip of each end of the U. Kinda like hooks. So that when I pin down a branch, I push the ends in the soil & the hooks hold them in place. Every once in a while, a branch might push a clip up, but by that time, it's already trained in place.

Works for me & pretty cheap.

7. Amoney

Amoney Veggy Stage

hey george what did you yield from those four beauties.

8. georged5150

I am not sure for I don't even have a scale. I would guess about 2 oz a plant.

9. Jake

Jake A Fat Sticky Bud

Wow guys thanks! You answered about every possible question I could have asked! Wa, George everyone thanks for the tips. Those are some sweet looking girls George! Dam I'm stoned looking at your pics and it's like seeing into my future...I hope! I have a few too many clones growing too fast so I'm gonna try Jogging them. Still have 3 weeks anyway on what I have flowering right now so should time out perfectly and get them in my grow space soon as I cut the others down. Stroke of luck for a newbie. I'll definitely post some pics as I go I have some in there now of what I got growing under "jakes first grow". Haven't updated since last week I'll update those tomorrow and start pics of my JOG progress. Thanks again I sure do appreciate your time!

10. geheim

geheim Excommunicated

im doing thatleft right left thing, i heard on another thread thats ok right, and i just strated 12/12 last night but didnt cut these clones back, they will just mature with the stakes holdin them down, will post my pics.

11. weedgrl

weedgrl Metalhead

Quote: from Mr Douglas on 4:36 pm on Nov. 2, 2005
    Hey Jake! Another method that I use instead of strings or stakes, is good old fashioned duct tape! Pull off the length you would need, and fold the tape into itself lengthwise,(except on the very ends). Place the folded duct tape around the section of stalk you want to bend, and stick the ends to the side of your pot. I was gonna do the drilled holes, but I always forgot to bring the drill home from work. lol worked for me!! :bigok:
    Good Luck and Good Stealth!!

And yet another great use for duct tape.

12. Joe Gardener

Joe Gardener Full Flowering

Holy cow

“I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet...And then I laughed really hard.”

Ain't it so?

I've been looking for some heart and have found stone.

13. chato420

chato420 Begun Flowering

You know what I would do. Supercrop those hos. break and bend, break and bend. this also helps in limiting node spacing.

(Edited by chato420 at 11:50 am on Nov. 3, 2005)

14. runzwsczrs

runzwsczrs Begun Flowering

I've used holes in the pot with old fashioned pipe cleaners.. you know those fuzzy wire things?

and on the duct tape thing.... i use my emergency in the car roll as a coffee cup holder on the floor while its waitng for use... the size of the hole in the middle is perfect and the stickiness of the sides of the roll securely hold it to the carpet on the floor.

15. georged5150

I like the thumbtack stuck on the side of the pot. It makes it easy to just wrape the string around the tack for easy adjusting. Holes work good also but I hate tieing and untieing the strings.

16. geheim

geheim Excommunicated

im using a chain, i hope this work, all i had was an old bicyle chain, ill post my pics.

17. runzwsczrs

runzwsczrs Begun Flowering

geheim, if you're using a chain, i hope you've hung a whip on the cieling, should make them girls grow faster, right dom?

18. geheim

geheim Excommunicated

that chain is becoming a pain in the ass, think ill use the duct tape methode.

ir maybe ill **** off this whole goddamn JOG. wtf, pain in the ass factor is a good 9 out of 10 on this one.

19. mistical

mistical Blazed and Confused

ye man jogging 200 plants can be an issue

20. geheim

geheim Excommunicated

i wouldnt jog 200 plants if you paid me.