13/11

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by meatwad, Aug 6, 2006.

1. meatwad

meatwad Veggy Stage

I'm in the flowering stage right now, and its currently at 12/12 (on/off).
    My question is, if I were to switch to 13/11, would I benefit more opposed to 12/12?

2. LongTimeToker

LongTimeToker Veggy Stage

I believe you will benefit as I remember some posts from some of the pros here. Maybe some of them will reply. I have grown alot outdoors for the last 20 years but this is my first indoor grow. Good Luck. Luck being (Laboring, Under, Correct, Knowledge)

Later

3. meatwad

meatwad Veggy Stage

Right on.

Anybody else with intelligent thoughts?

4. SoTexGrowr1

SoTexGrowr1 Developed Alternating Nodes

Could it be possible? Possibly...But why? There are no faults in using 12/12. If the best biggest buds were grown under 13/11, you wouldn't be asking the question.

5. llIndigoll

llIndigoll Medical Grower

The debate goes on...

Well a lot of what you are asking can be answered for specific strains and genetics. What are you growing?

Another way to determine what photo schedules work best is to experiment. Document what you find and continue to cultivate the same strain for several harvests. This is the best way to learn what works and what doesn't.

There is no easy answer to your question, and that is why it may seem like I just danced around your querry.

6. Dazechain

Dazechain Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Speakin' of dancin'...

Some dance to remember...

Some dance to forget...

...DC for THC... :D

7. meatwad

meatwad Veggy Stage

mmm, i dig bomb ass buds.

brakelighteyed:cool:

8. mbwiseguy

mbwiseguy Begun Flowering

it makes sense to me that if you gave the plants an extra hour of light they would grow bigger and take longer to ripen. i tried it with 12.75/11.25 and it worked fine, but i switched back to 12/12 slowly when i started SOG so the final trays would ripen in time

9. XTC

XTC Veggy Stage

I am doing 10 on and 14 off and it is doing wonders since i went from 12/12 and since the plant thinks that winter is coming soon since there is less hours of light so it is budding quicker that when it was on 12/12 but thats my strain it could be diff for others idk hope this helps ya PEACE

10. plastik

plastik Tomato Farmer

heres how to think of it, your plant has a 24hour daily cycle. whatever you add or subtract from that daily cycle in darkness and light, you can calculate. say your growing for 60 days, thats 1440 hours of growing time. say you did 24/0 and 3 weeks veg until you flowered, thats 504 growing hours, including light. if you did 18/6 you would have 378 light hours and 126 dark hours. during flowering this is usually cut in half evenly. 60 days of flowering, cut evently would be 720/720 hours on/off. the thing about not giving buds enough light during flowering is they do mature quicker, BUT, do not reach their potential weight or potency. They do not mature much quicker though, if anything, the only reason why they appear to mature quicker is because there isn't as much new bud growth forming, so only few newer ones are still viable, and older ones more visible, making the less amount of bud appear matured. they are matured, but they just haven't reached their potential size. with growing good bud, you have to find a good balance between bud growth, bud maturity, and day night cycles. bud may mature faster than the new buds can grow, even in early stages. the trick is to have more buds growing than there are maturing in mid flower. that is why some people harvest 'early' and it looks 'done'. in all aspects, it is matured, but it hasn't reached its potential. it is like trying to compare a smaller rose to another large rose. both are matured and bloomed, but one is still smaller, and probably of slightly less quality in aroma.

11. Mr.Dope

Mr.Dope Master Grower Of The Kind

IMO, 13/11 would be okay. It would get that extra hour of bud growth.

Im guessing that the reason its 12/12 is because its exactly half of 24 hours. Giving an equal amount of hours of day and night. Makes sense.

Im going to try the 13/11 starting tomorow. Im growing NL X Shiva.

12. plastik

plastik Tomato Farmer

its simple to look at:

more light = more bud, but longer flowering

less light = less bud, but shorter flowering

13. Mr.Dope

That does make sense Plastik. Thats why I was saying 12/12 is equal amount of day/night hours. Going 13/11 wont hurt to try. Maybe a tiny bit longer flowering time. I would say a few days?

14. Dr. Dra

Dr. Dra Veggy Stage

If i have a plant going on 14 hours of light and 10 of darkness and its 10 weeks old is there a possibility buds can start to form? or is that not enough dark time?

15. meatwad

meatwad Veggy Stage

you thread jacker.

16. plastik

plastik Tomato Farmer

possible, but can take upto a month longer to finish.

17. Mr.Dope

Is that how your photoperiod is like on your plants Dr. Dra? If you are vegetating them give them atleast 18/6. With 14 hours on they might start to bud. Thats just not a good light schedule.

18. CTGuy

CTGuy Developed Alternating Nodes

My plants are in 3rd week of flower. Cali Orange, soil grown, indoors, grow box 4' high with 400w HPS. Went from 24/0 to 12/12 plants keep getting taller and taller. They have since outgrown their box.

I went to 11/13, no considerable difference.

HOWEVER....

In a desperate attempt to cut down their height, I switched to 9 hours of light. Now my plants are budding, very small resin glands are forming, and the height is still climbing but has slowed down considerably. Plants are thickening. It was possibly the best thing I could have done for them! I'm going to have some monsters on my hands come harvest time. :eek:

The switch in light convinced my plants that winter was fast approaching. The males formed their sexuality first, and I killed them off at first sign of balls. There is no mistaking the 6 healthy females now.

They are only at 3rd week of flower and the buds are getting bigger every day. I don't believe that the longer dark period is causing less buds, but the opposite seems true.

It is believed that plants do their "maturing" during the the dark periods, and store energy during the light periods. This would also explain why letting light onto your plants during their dark times can cause them to hermie on you.

19. meatwad

meatwad Veggy Stage

thanks for all the input guys! my plant is already flowering, been flowering for about 2 weeks now, they are growing pretty quick too.