Planning a new Grow 2000w or 1800w?

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by JuggaloKing420, Jan 26, 2010.

1. JuggaloKing420

JuggaloKing420 Just clownin around

Ok so the wife wants to move later this year and I'm going to upgrade my grow..It's going to cost me some coin so I'm purchasing everything piece by piece..Now being that I'm not a very crafty person, I'm opting for a tent. It's going to be one of the bigger single purchase I'm going to make.. Specs for the tent are 4X8X7.

Now I've ran into a dilemma with the lighting..Should I go with 2 1000w's hps or 3 600w's hps? Cost is just about the same. 2 Lumatek 1000w's w/ reflectors would be about $950 where as 3 600w's w/ reflectors would be around $960.

62.5w psf compared to 56.25w psf. I would have a better distribution of light with the 600w's but the 1000w's are more intense. Heats not going to be an issue, I'm going to use a 12,000btu a/c. Also debating on adding CO2.

Growlab 120L - $460
    Lights - $950
    C.A.P CO2 Reg - $130 (Optional)
    LG Portable A/C - $500
    50 lb CO2 tank - $450 (Optional)
    2 3x3 E/F setup - $800
    Odor control - $600
    Lots of quality buds - Priceless :roffl:

So with a rough estimate and not shopping around I come out to $3600 w/ CO2 $3000 w/o and thats not extra bulbs, hydroton or nutes. I could probably save some money if I built the room and tables myself, but I'm just not a diy guy. So what's everybody think? 2000w or 1800w? Quality investments?

2. Tex-Elektric-Bud

Tex-Elektric-Bud Journey man sparky

Its going to be argued by a lot of people whether to go with the 600's or the 1000's. You'll always get better results with a 1000 w hps over a 600w hps. People will argue that but every grow i've personally seen with 1000 w's always turned out better! more trichs, thicker denser buds, more yield ect. Dont get me wrong 600's are great and give u exceptional results as well but IMO they dont quite compare to the 1000's. i think 2 1000's will you give more than enough light placement in that area! either way thats going to be one hell of a set up and going to grow some fantastic bud! good plan bud. Good luck.

3. lukesmommy

lukesmommy "lil doobie"

Hey Jug!

Being that i recently moved and upgraded on my grow area, i'm gonna chime in...

It is def worth the investment, however the cheaper or easier you can make it on yourself, the better, right?

I went on Ebay and Craig's List over the period of about 2 months and bought everything one piece at a time, unless i found someone who had a couple of things and would negotiate on price... That cost me more time than money, so how you go about getting your upgrades depends on how much time you can afford to put into it too.

I think going with the 3 600's is what i would do. i would also get a few prices on the same tent and see who has what you want the cheapest. And see if you can get stuff locally to save on shipping costs. I would also invest in the CO2 stuff, as it sounds like you're going to have a rather large grow going.

I can't wait to see how it all turns out! I know my upgrades and quality of seeds has def been worth it for me!

Peace and Good Luck!

-LM

4. JuggaloKing420

I figure the room would just about pay for itself with one harvest. Depending on how the elect. bill goes, I might add more light in the future. I'm a home grower so this will be close to the peak of my comfort zone. They say the tents have thermal protection. Can they really block out the eyes in the sky? Thanks for chiming in.:potleaf-2:

5. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

lights

I run two 1000w on a rail and a 600w on the end Stationary. The 600 does put out pretty good the plants look great but what I notice on this grow is the 1000w lights have a LOT MORE PENETRATION down into the canopy compared to the 600w. I wish I could try three 600w on a rail and compare. So if your plants are gonna be big and you want the light penetration at its best go 1000w

Teamster6

6. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

God bro, where you live? lol, i can build you a cab from $25 in lumber and $40 in panda, maybe $10 more for odds n ends! Get crafty man, save the 500 on the tent and do you have a basement?

7. CCrete

I sorta, kinda agree but the HEAT from 2, 1ks in a tent? whooo

8. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

I agree you gotta have a lot of suck to cool these 1000,s down but three 600 are not going to be easy either but this tent is no small outfit either.
    Teamster6

9. mt.king

mt.king mud drags champion

pennatration

EXACTLY MORE BUDS DEEPER IN TO THE CANOPY TOO!!

10. mt.king

Heat Is Heat

HEAT FROM 3 SOURCES WHOOOOA!!! my fried uses 3 600s and he said its harder to keep it cool now that he sold me his 2 1,000 switchables he wanted to save on power:roffl: but now that he put a mover on them he can get 6 inches from the tops and the room temp dropped 7 degrees f

11. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Im maxed out on ceiling height and I am running the rail with the light within I would say 3 inches from the tops. If I set the delay light burn if I leave on auto 2 second stop no burn.

Teamster6

12. JuggaloKing420

Ok well the lights are going to be air cooled and I figure a 12,000 btu a/c designated just for the grow should be able to keep the temperatures where I need them to be.

Chris, want to come to Texas? I could save alot of money...And no there isn't basements in S Texas...We have had bad hurricanes which left houses w/ sand up to the second story..

13. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

Id go for 3 air cools 600's. If they are sealed air cooled units, you can have them on one extractor fan and a passive intake from outside the tent.

The tent may have a lining in it to stop the heat, but what about your exhaust, where is that going? Whereever your exhausting too is going to get hot.

The only sure fire way to get rid of the heat is to exhaust into the sewerage system. If you do do that, please run your exhaust fan 24/7. Sewerage fumes can be dangerous ;)

14. CCrete

I run 3, 600s and as soon as I connected 2 of them with ducting, the temps dropped a min of 6 degrees (not sure celcius).......and it stabilized it at a solid 74.3 to 75, hasnt moved in 2 weeks regardless of the temp outside.....I have another air cooled hood to match the others but cant lose any more heat, im afraid it would go below 70, all that on 1, 8inch 765cfm exhaust and it clears the entire room too

I'd say if you can cool them 1k' then do em, they do have better penetration thats for sure

15. JuggaloKing420

So how would you run your exhaust into the sewer line? Thanks for the input guys.. Looking at the cost of lumber and such I could probably save roughly 800 bucks if I diy'd it...I think I'm going to go with the 2 1000w's..I want to run the two tables as my main crop, but still have some room for 4 or 5 sativas in soil in between the two tables...If I end up going the diy way, I'll probably put a 600 in the middle..

16. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

At a Boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Remember if there is any way you can incorporate a rail in their you can cover the plants big time with two 1000's. this light bar I am running will actually do three lights at once.

Teamster6

17. mt.king

YEP A 1,000 WILL PENITRATE A WHOLE FOOT DEEPER INTO THE PLANTS AND INCREASE THE SIZE OF THE BUDS A FOOT LOWER THAN THE 600s

18. Boa

Boa Cured Fat Sticky Bud

I was gonna say 2 1000w's to. If they are air cooled then u really dont have to many worries. You plannin on runnin a SOG or just one harvest at a time?

19. JuggaloKing420

The tables will be a sog style while the couple other plants I'll have are for headstash.

20. Yeah, 3000 is a bit pricey. I have a 2000w setup, and if I had to add up everything, including a 8000but(I think) ac unit, I've got MAYBE 1000 tops into it. Check craigslist for an ac. I picked up mine a year old for $60, it was 280 brand new.