Soil Q

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by noreastgrow, Dec 20, 2006.

1. noreastgrow

noreastgrow Super Dank Headies

Ok, so i finally got all of my grow room ordered/built. I went to my local hydro store to look at diff. soils. They had two: Coast of maine. and foxfarm. The coast of maine has no nutrients added, and costs 10 bucks for 30lb's. THe forxfarm organic has guano, castings and all that shiznit, but is 25 bones for 30lbs. I need to fil 30 gallons, so i need about 4 bags. I'd rather not spend 100 dollars on soil. Should i get the regular soil and add some guano or something, or shell out the money. I'd rather save my money for some other things, but don't want to skip on the quality. What should i do for soil?????

Thanks

NEG

2. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

Yea 100$ for dirt It's a real joke! If you cheap out it will cost 40$ for dirt then $ for some nutes.So spend the 100$ and get the good shit. You may end up with more bud in the end! Good luck Bud

3. Randy High

Randy High Organic Alumni

I was in the very same position.

My solution was composting the basic soil.

I bought peat moss, guinea pig food pellets ( alfalfa ) bone meal, green sand, lime and sulfur.

For microbes I used a bag of top soil.

Been tending to my soil ever since.

But is simple terms a soil is about decomposition.

Materials generally decompose on the surface and work their way down and plants use this for their livelyhood.

You could buy some organic compost and mix with perlite and peat moss.

To that I would add some kelp meal, greensand, bone meal and maybe a little potash.

Wet this and keep it moist for a few days before use .. I would turn and mix this to allow air to get in so that biological activity can get going.

There are other ways to construct a home made soil that's just one off the top of my head.

Have a search on the internet and see what ya find.